Last updated on February 14, 2024
Dermal fillers offer a versatile solution for various anti-ageing concerns, addressing everything from fine lines to restoring volume, resulting in an immediate lift and enhanced facial contours. What makes dermal fillers even more appealing is that they are minimally invasive and relatively quick, providing subtle improvements for a dramatic effect. Whether you’ve already committed to a dermal filler treatment or are contemplating taking the plunge, we’re here to guide you through the process and address any lingering questions. Ready to begin your journey to a rejuvenated and refreshed appearance?
What are Dermal Fillers?
Dermal fillers are injectables that help correct aesthetic concerns by adding volume, contouring, and rejuvenating the skin. When injected into targeted areas, dermal fillers help restore lost volume, soften lines and wrinkles, and enhance facial features.
Dermal fillers can be used to:
- Enhance thinning lips and hollow cheeks for a plumper and fuller look.
- Reduce nasolabial folds/creases that form at both sides of the nose.
- Sculpt your chin and jawline for a smoother, more symmetrical look.
- Diminish the impact of acne scars with natural substances to activate your body’s healing process.
- Smoothen wrinkles and fine lines on specific facial areas such as the mouth, eyes, and forehead.
Dermal fillers provide immediate results with minimal downtime, offering a non-surgical option for those looking to minimise the signs of ageing, whether for maintenance or increasing skin elasticity and volume.
Dermal fillers can last anywhere from 6 to 18 months, depending on the type of filler you get. Deep or firm fillers can last for two years. However, results may vary based on your skin condition and aftercare. A qualified healthcare professional is the best person to help guide you on the different types of dermal fillers and the one most suited to your skin and concerned areas.
The Dermal Filler Procedure
The first step towards getting any cosmetic treatment is a consultation with your healthcare practitioner. This allows you to discuss your aesthetic goals and the areas you want to target and get the answers to any questions you may have. Based on the condition of your skin and the results you are looking for, your practitioner will formulate a personalised treatment plan to ensure you get the desired results.
Here’s what you can expect during your dermal filler procedure:
- Your practitioner will map out the areas you want to treat. Photos may be taken to compare the before and after results.
- Your face will be thoroughly cleansed with an antiseptic solution to limit the risk of infection. A topical numbing cream or local anaesthetic may be applied to ensure your comfort during the injections.
- Pain is minimal and may be compared to a slight pinching or stinging sensation and may differ for each area; for example, lips can be more sensitive.
- The injections are administered via very fine needles and generally take a few minutes for each site. The number of injections depends on the extent of the treatment and your specific requirements.
- After injecting the filler, the practitioner may gently massage and mould the product to ensure even distribution and optimal results. In some cases, additional filler may be added or adjustments made to achieve the desired outcome.
- Lastly, the markings on your face will be cleaned, and you will be given an ice pack to help reduce swelling and ease discomfort.
There might be slight swelling or bruising post-treatment. This usually subsides in a day or two with the proper aftercare. The procedure typically takes 45 minutes to an hour, depending on the number of targeted areas.
Aftercare & Recovery
Here are some steps you can follow to ensure faster recovery and optimal results for your dermal fillers:
- Avoid touching or rubbing the treated areas immediately after the procedure to prevent the spread of filler and reduce the risk of infection.
- Applying ice packs can help reduce swelling and minimise bruising. Use a clean cloth to wrap the ice pack and avoid direct contact with the skin.
- Protect the treated areas from direct sunlight and UV exposure. Consider wearing a wide-brimmed hat and applying sunscreen with at least SPF 30.
- Refrain from engaging in vigorous exercise or activities that may increase blood flow to the face for the first 24 to 48 hours post-treatment.
- Drink plenty of water to help the body recover and maintain skin hydration.
- Attend any scheduled follow-up appointments with your healthcare professional. They will assess the results, address any concerns, and make adjustments if necessary.
- Mild swelling, bruising, and redness are common side effects and usually subside within a few days. If you experience persistent or severe side effects, contact your healthcare professional.
The results of dermal fillers are not permanent. You may need additional treatments once the effects wear off. Alternatively, you can combine dermal fillers with anti-wrinkle injections, getting the benefits of restoring volume and reducing wrinkles. A treatment plan tailored to your specific skin needs can offer sustainable and lasting results, providing the enhancement your skin needs and helping maintain and heal it with procedures that promote skin health and beauty.
Revitalise Your Skin!
Dermal fillers offer a minimally invasive and simple solution to boost skin volume and elasticity, instantly diminishing the effects of ageing and giving your skin a youthful glow. At My Cosmetic Clinic, we go beyond the surface, providing a range of surgical and non-surgical procedures tailored to your skin’s requirements. With a personalised approach that aims to enhance your natural beauty, our procedures encompass your overall skin and wellness needs for a glow that radiates from within, helping you look as young as you feel.
Whether you are looking for dermal fillers to sculpt your facial features and enhance your skin or chemical peels, skin needling or resurfacing, our treatments are focused on delivering exceptional results centred around your aesthetic goals. Talk to our team for more information or schedule a consultation with our doctors for a custom treatment plan.