Last updated on February 28, 2023
If you’ve tried and tried to get rid of a belly pouch, love handles or any other pockets of fat, you know how frustrating it can be to see little to no result after months or even years of dieting and exercise. Liposuction, an in-office cosmetic procedure, offers a fast and effective solution to this dilemma. While effective, liposuction does involve surgical incisions, so there is some recovery and downtime to be expected.
Fortunately, there are more than a little liposuction recovery tips you can implement to help ensure a smooth recovery and optimal results. If you’re considering liposuction and need help getting started, schedule a consultation with My Cosmetic Clinic, so we can answer any questions or concerns you may have about liposuction and liposuction recovery. Dr Ansari, our medical director, has treated thousands of patients and has ample experience with cosmetic surgery procedures. Here at My Cosmetic Clinic we do offer liposuction recovery tips that can help on your journey.
Liposuction Recovery Factors
Recovery times for liposuction vary from person to person. Certain factors, such as the number of areas treated and the type of liposuction technique used also affect recovery times. On average, the timeline for liposuction recovery is as follows:
- First week – some pain or discomfort, swelling and bruising, however, you will be able to engage in day to day activity.
- Second week – less pain, can return to work, reduced swelling and bruising, limited physical exercise.
- Three to five weeks – pain subsides, minimal swelling and bruising, incisions fully healed, you can resume your usual activity and exercise.
- Sixth week – most swelling and bruising gone and results are more obvious.
Because each patient is different, this timeline is only an estimation of what you can expect. Dr Ansari will provide you with a tailored list of post-operative instructions to ensure proper healing, as well as schedule follow-up appointments to monitor your progress.
Liposuction Recovery Tips
There are several things you can do to help your body recover from liposuction surgery in a safe, healthy way. Some of the self-care steps include:
- Reducing Bruising – While swelling and bruises are all but unavoidable after liposuction surgery, taking good care of the affected skin areas can go a long way towards helping the healing process along. Massaging bruised areas helps prevent blood from pooling under the skin and encourages normal blood flow. Another way to minimise bruising is by applying creams that contain Arnica, a natural substance that prompts the body to send white blood cells to the area and promote healing.
- Promoting Healthy Healing – To help the healing process along, it is vital that you avoid smoking in the weeks before and after the procedure, as smoking constricts the blood vessels and slows healing. The same goes for drinking, since alcohol can cause dehydration, which also slows the healing process. Lastly, support the body’s skin regenerating processes by eating protein-rich foods throughout the recovery period. By keeping your incisions clean while they heal fully, and moisturising the scars once they appear, you can reduce the chances of any lasting visible scars.
- Reducing Swelling – Removing fat from areas of the body leaves open spaces that can fill with fluid. Fluids contained in the body’s tissues will naturally move into open spaces, which produces swelling. For these reasons, a compression garment should be worn at all times during the first few weeks of liposuction recovery. The pressure of a compression garment both prevents fluid build-up and helps the body reabsorb excess fluids from the area. This is not only good for the body but also improves the contour of the area by helping the skin to adhere to underlying tissues. By the end of your recovery, the treated area(s) will have the smooth, natural contours that you expect.
- Getting Proper Rest – Getting a good night’s sleep promotes sound health and is essential to assisting healing during liposuction recovery. Sleep allows the body to restore and repair its many systems. During this time, the brain releases signals that help encourage tissue growth and repair blood vessels. In turn, wounds heal faster. The body can also produce more white blood cells during resting periods and eliminate the types of bacteria and viruses that slow the healing process.
- Eating Right – Eating a healthy, balanced diet is another liposuction recovery tip that supports healing. The body needs ample amounts of nutrients and vitamins for wound healing. Nutrient-rich foods, such as berries, salmon and green tea provide the body with ample levels of vitamins and antioxidant materials. Increased amounts of vitamin A and vitamin C are also needed.
- Staying Hydrated – As important as staying hydrated is in general, it’s especially important during liposuction recovery. Proper hydration produces the level of moisture needed for wound surfaces to heal. When treated areas don’t receive adequate amounts of water, it impedes the transfer of oxygen and nutrients into the cells. When this happens, the healing process moves slower, and the risk of infection can increase.
- Exercising – While you should limit strenuous exercise and activity throughout liposuction recovery, a light level of activity can actually help the recovery process along. Light exercise, such as short walks during the first FEW DAYS couple weeks of recovery helps maintain healthy blood circulation. Once you are fully recovered, getting back to a healthy exercise routine also keeps the skin and muscles toned, which can help optimize your results and maintain it in the long term.
- Managing Pain – Depending on the extent of your liposuction procedure, expect to experience some degree of pain or discomfort, especially during the first couple weeks of recovery. In most cases, the doctor will prescribe something for the pain or recommend over-the-counter medications. Note that when you are taking pain medication, you cannot drive or operate other forms of heavy machinery. Other ways to lessen pain include meditation, massage, yoga and acupuncture.
Contact My Cosmetic Clinic Today to Set Up a Consultation
Dr Ansari of My Cosmetic Clinic Today has extensive experience in liposuction procedures and can help you attain the sculpted look you’ve always wanted. The staff at My Cosmetic Clinic Today pride themselves on offering personalised care and treatment and strive to bring about the results you expect. If you’re considering liposuction or have more questions, please feel free to call us here on +61-1300-854-989 and schedule a consultation with the doctor.