Last updated on February 14, 2024
You’ve finally decided to take the plunge to get rid of that annoying tummy jiggle or the underarm flab. Liposuction is a fantastic solution for removing stubborn body fat, offering targeted and overall reduction to define or contour your body shape. However, cosmetic surgery requires careful consideration, especially in terms of the procedure and recovery. Whether you’ve already booked your appointment for liposuction or are holding off because you are worried about the recovery time or results, we’re here to answer all your questions. From the procedure and recovery to aftercare for optimal results, our guide will have you up and looking fabulous before you know it!
What is Liposuction?
Liposuction is a surgical procedure to remove excess fat deposits from specific body areas, enhancing body contours and proportion. During the procedure, a thin tube, called a cannula, is inserted through small incisions, and fat is suctioned out.
Liposuction is commonly used to target areas such as the abdomen, thighs, hips, buttocks, arms, and neck. It’s not a weight-loss method but a body contouring technique to address localised fat deposits that may resist diet and exercise.
Various liposuction techniques range from traditional methods, such as suction and power-assisted liposuction for more extensive fat deposits, to laser-assisted for contouring and removing spot fat deposits. As these surgeries are invasive, they require extensive consultation, planning and preparation before and adequate healing and recovery after. Discuss your concerns and get information on the surgery to ensure you’re aware of the risks and committed to following post-operative care to ensure optimal healing and results.
Liposuction Recovery Process
The liposuction procedure may take several hours, depending on how much fat is removed. It involves the administration of anaesthesia, which will be discussed with you beforehand. Your doctor will observe you for a few hours to monitor your progress and let you go home the same day. In some cases where a significant amount of fat has been removed, an overnight stay may be required.
Here are a few tips to help guide you through the liposuction recovery process:
Immediate Post Operative Care
- Your body may feel numb because of the anaesthesia, which will begin to wear off after a few hours.
- You will feel some soreness, pain and swelling in the treated areas. It will start going down in a few days.
- Your surgeon will prescribe medication to help with the discomfort and pain.
- Arrange for someone to take you home after the procedure because of the residual effects of anaesthesia and pain medication.
- You’ll be instructed to wear compression garments to reduce swelling and help shape the newly contoured areas.
- Small drain tubes are sometimes placed at surgical sites after liposuction to prevent the accumulation of excess fluids, blood, or other substances at the surgical site. Your surgeon will provide instructions on managing and caring for the drains, including cleaning and dressing changes.
- Limit physical activity and refrain from heavy lifting, which can strain the treated areas.
- Continue wearing the suppression garments diligently and take pain medication as advised.
Next 4 Weeks
- After a few days of rest, you will feel a noticeable improvement in the soreness and pain.
- Around the third week mark, you can see your new body shape as the swelling subsides.
- Attend any scheduled follow-up appointments with your surgeon. They will assess your healing progress and provide any necessary guidance.
- You can typically return to normal daily activities and work within a week or two, depending on the extent of the liposuction and your healing progress.
- Slowly reintroduce exercise into your routine based on your surgeon’s recommendations.
- To get optimal results, it’s essential to continue wearing the suppression garments for at least 6 weeks.
Useful At Home After Care Tips
- Keep some towels on hand to protect your furniture and sheets. The drain is painless and helps limit post-operative swelling.
- Don’t wait for the pain to strike before taking your medication. Take the prescribed dosage to ensure your comfort throughout recovery.
- Only remove your suppression garments during bathing. It’s important to always keep them on to contour the treated areas.
- Stay hydrated as water helps flush out toxins from your body. Maintaining a healthy and nutritious diet promotes healing and strengthens your immune system.
- Avoid smoking and alcohol, as they can interfere with the healing process.
- Keep the surgical site clean and dry to reduce the risk of infection, following the wound care instructions given by your surgeon.
- After the first few days, incorporate some light stretching and walking to improve blood circulation and prevent blood clots after checking in with your surgeon.
- Continue attending follow-up visits as scheduled. Your surgeon will monitor your progress and address any concerns or questions you may have.
Remember, results after surgery take some time to become visible as the fluids drain from your body and the compression garments do their work. Give your body time to heal and reveal its shape. Swelling may take a few months to subside completely, and you will begin noticing gradual improvements after three weeks. Stay patient and have realistic expectations. It’s worth the wait!
Keep in mind that liposuction is not a weight loss treatment. You can regain the fat if you don’t maintain weight and shape. This means following a healthy diet and consistent exercise routine.
Discover Your True Self!
The path to getting your desired body shape is hard work! Some stubborn areas always refuse to budge, keeping you from achieving your goals. Liposuction can help you get there, smoothing and defining your shape for that symmetrical look.
My Cosmetic Clinic offers liposuction consultations at most of our convenient locations – Sydney, Central Coast, Newcastle, and Wollongong. With a team of highly trained surgeons and staff, we take a holistic approach to cosmetic surgeries, ensuring tailored treatments with optimal results. Our team works with you, offering gentle support and guidance at every stage of your journey, from the first consultation to the procedure and aftercare. Talk to us for more information on liposuction, and we can help create a bespoke treatment plan that aligns with your aesthetic and budgetary needs.