In the past, many women were afraid to admit how they felt about their necks as they aged. These women began taking action and set the precedent for the neck lift. An elegant, smooth, and long neck has always been desired. Some of the most beautiful women in history were known for their swan-like necks. This is because a beautiful neck is perceived as a sign of youth. Unfortunately, the aging of the neck is very similar to the face. During the late thirties and early forties, the texture of the skin often becomes splotchy or uneven and fine lines make their appearance. Gravity generally takes a toll during the forties, resulting in sagging and slackness of the neck.
According to some of the best plastic surgeons in the industry, the number of younger women interested in having this procedure is consistently increasing. There has been a 50% increase in the number of women who have had this procedure during the past five years. Men are also having the traditional lift to achieve a better aesthetic. The majority of individuals interested are between the ages of 39 and 50. Some have a platysmaplasty. This is a surgery where the sagging muscles responsible for showing age are knitted back together. This is accomplished by making a little opening beneath the chin. Other individuals are choosing the classic lift. This removes the excess skin and elevates the skin remaining for a smoother and more youthful neck.
The basic procedure has remained the same for decades. The current differences are the new surgical techniques. These have greatly decreased both the period of recovery. A telescopic device with extremely high definition is now being used so the surgeon can have a better view of the neck tissues. This device also enables the openings to be smaller. Medical adhesive can be used to secure the openings and increase the rate of recovery. This effectively reduces recovery and healing to approximately ten to twelve days. Understanding the skin of the neck has less elasticity and is thinner than the skin on the face is extremely important. Overlooking the neck skin for sun protection and skincare routines can result in premature aging of the neck.
The skin of the neck loses elasticity as time passes due to age, too much exposure to the sun, weight loss and gravity. This results in hanging and loose skin that makes the individual appear older than their true age. In many instances, the neck may age much faster than the face. A lot of individuals feel their necks give away their age more than their faces. Once the underlying muscles of the neck start to lose tone, the creation of bands and vertical cords add to the appearance of the turkey gobbler neck. A neck lift tightens the muscles and removes the excess skin and fat. This smooths and contours the neck for a younger appearance. A neck rejuvenation provides natural yet extremely dramatic results. No treatment is capable of stopping the aging process. This being said, this procedure offers a more youthful appearance and profile.
If you are in good health and want to have the excess fat and skin of your neck removed, the chances are excellent you may be a good candidate for this procedure. Everyone has a slightly different and personal reason for wanting to have a neck rejuvenation. You may have a lot of loose skin around your neck because you lost a significant amount of weight or age may have resulted in the undesirable turkey gobbler appearance. You may simply want to see a better definition of your neck and jawline. No matter what your reasons, this procedure may be your ideal solution for a smooth and sleek neck. There is a lot of truth to the old adage, “If you look good, you feel good.”
There is no right or wrong age to have a neck lift. Younger individuals may be interested in the procedure because they are not satisfied with their anatomies such as a lack of definition, too much fullness in the neck or a short chin. Older individuals may not like the changes caused by age. The appropriate timing for every type of plastic surgery is dependent on numerous factors including bone structure, hereditary traits, skin type and lifestyle choices including sun tanning and smoking. A mini-lift may be the best option for younger individuals. Older individuals may need a more comprehensive procedure to achieve the best possible benefits. Many women have a facelift at the same time to correct the loose fat and skin of the neck. The actual neck rejuvenation hides any scarring in the crease behind ears.
If your only concern is contour issues with your neck, the tissues of your face do not have to be elevated. If your skin has good elasticity with minimal excess skin, having liposuction with your neck rejuvenation is an excellent option. A different approach is required for men. Due to the hairline of a man, the scars are unable to be hidden using the same locations as for a woman. If too aggressive of a lift is performed, the neck and beard hairline can become distorted. An experienced plastic surgeon knows exactly how to perform this procedure on both men and women to achieve the best results. Depending on your goals, you may not need to have a facelift during your neck rejuvenation procedure. There are several different options for this procedure. This is something you can discuss with the plastic surgeon during your initial consultation.
Your neck rejuvenation can be performed by making an opening along the bottom of your ear and extending into your hairline from behind your ear, by placing the opening beneath your chin or combining both types of openings. The type of opening is determined by the surgeon. The best option for your specific needs, the experience of the surgeon and your personal wishes are all important considerations. Depending on the technique and type of opening chosen by the surgeon, your neck muscles can be tightened on both sides or in the center. When necessary, any excess skin or fat is removed. The majority of individuals receive the most benefits when they have a facelift during their neck rejuvenation procedure.
There are certain people who do not require a facelift to achieve their desired results. Sometimes lifting just the neck can provide a good result. The best candidates for having this procedure by itself do not have any significant jowls and are experiencing sagging in their neck muscles, especially in the center.
The Procedure for a Neck Lift
Everything begins when you have your initial consultation. The surgeon listens to your specific issues and concerns and answer any immediate questions. A complete evaluation of your skin elasticity, bone structure, amount of fat accumulation within your neck and skin tone is then performed. Your medical history is discussed, including certain conditions such as diabetes, cardiac issues, hypertension and whether or not you smoke. It is important to mention any plans to lose a great deal of weight and neck surgeries you had in the past. You receive a physical examination to determine the position of your hyoid bone and to establish the integrity of your jawline. This is very important for ensuring your expectations are realistic. In some cases, a chin implant is recommended for improving the look of the jowls, neck and jawline.
Your neck lift takes place in the plastic surgeon’s office under anesthesia. Prior to your procedure, the surgeon reviews the photographs that were taken and the plan for surgery. The most commonly used opening is behind the ear and beneath the chin. The position and length of your openings is based on how much loose skin is lifted. The surgeon places all your openings in natural creases. This ensures your scars are well hidden. After making the opening, your skin is separated from the underlying muscle and fat. Hand sculpting and liposuction are used to carefully remove the excess fat.
Great attention to detail ensures your neck and jawline have a sharp definition. Once the excess fat is removed, your underlying muscle is tightened. This muscle is called the platysma. As this muscle ages, vertical bands and cords are created in the neck. This is addressed during your surgery for the creation of a youthful and smooth neck. Any excess or loose skin is lifted and removed. Fine stitches are used to meticulously close each opening. A dressing is wrapped around the area and changed by the surgeon in their office in one or two days. There are different types of neck lifts. These include:
- Corset Platysmaplasty: This procedure is performed to significantly tighten the underlying muscle. This creates a smooth and beautiful neck contour. An advanced technique is used to join the ends of the underlying muscle together using a single suture. This creates a multilayered seam. The ends of the muscle are pulled together using the continuous suture. This results in a smooth layer of muscle. This is a complex technique requiring experience, skill, meticulous stitching and additional time.
- Sub-Platysmal Fat Sculpting: During the traditional lift, only the fat above the underlying muscle is removed by the surgeon. Liposuction is used for the removal of this fat since no important anatomic structures are present. An experienced surgeon is capable of safely removing the deeper fat to significantly improve the results of the procedure.
Unless you decide to tell them, your friends and family may not be aware you had this procedure. They may assume you have been sleeping well, eating healthy, and exercising. Some individuals may assume you have lost some weight. After your procedure, your outlook on life and level of self-confidence can improve.
The Benefits of a Neck Lift
One of the first parts of the body to start showing age is the neck. This usually happens before the face begins to age. The result is often the unfortunate “turkey neck.” This is one of the hardest signs of aging to effectively hide. This procedure is both straightforward and simple but can eliminate the banding and sagging so obvious in the neck. If you have been considering having a neck rejuvenation, you can start by considering all of the benefits. This includes:
- The skin on your neck is extremely delicate. Age and environmental factors can have an impact on your neck. Hereditary traits often amplify the effects of the aging process. Unfortunately, exercise and diet are unable to improve these kinds of changes. This procedure focuses directly on these issues. The final result is a beautifully sculpted jawline and neck.
- This procedure tightens your neck muscles and removes the excess skin. Your sagging muscles are lifted and your skin is put back into place. Not only does this decrease the look of loose skin, when you combine your procedure with BOTOX® or liposuction you can look like you lost weight.
- There are two different types of basic lifts available. You can even have them performed together for the best results. The excess fat and skin of your neck can be removed and your underlying muscle be tightened. This provides you with a more refreshed and rejuvenated appearance. This procedure has become extremely popular with both men and women because the first part of the body to show obvious signs of aging is the neck. When you have your initial consultation with the plastic surgeon, the best options for your individual needs are explained and discussed. The surgeon customizes the procedure so you enjoy the results you receive.
- The modern techniques used for the lift ensure very little downtime or scarring. The openings the surgeon makes are hidden discreetly beneath your chin, behind your ears and in your hairline. Your period of recovery is fairly short. Many individuals are able to go back to their regular schedule in just five to seven days.
- This procedure can effectively correct muscle bands, excess fat and skin, and skin laxity. The surgeon address the underlying muscle or your results would be very limited. The openings are placed extremely carefully beneath your chin, behind your ears and around your earlobe to remove excess fat and skin and restructure your underlying muscle. This results in a dramatic improvement of the appearance of your neck to create the look of a smoother neck and a more youthful jawline.
- You can combine your procedure with a variety of options for an improvement in the overall look of your neck and face. This includes fat grafting for your cheeks, the correction of marionette lines and nasolabial folds, fillers, and a cheek lift.
- Once you have had your surgery, your results last an extremely long time. Your skin heals to reveal a smoother and more attractive new surface. The majority of individuals who have had this surgery did not need another procedure for many years. Some never needed to have another procedure at all. The results are dramatic. Numerous individuals have this procedure because the skin beneath their jaw no longer matches the skin on their face.
To learn more about what a neck lift can do for you, please feel free to reach out and make an appointment with My Cosmetic Clinic. At our convenient locations in Sydney, our caring and dedicated team of professionals are pleased to answer any questions. Contact us today to set up your consultation!